Tuesday, February 28, 2012

FIRST WEEK

Well we have been home a week and God was right when He told me last spring, when I was feeling that we had hit a dead end in our journey, that "the best was yet to come."   Our house has been full of giggles and laughter literally all day long.  The boys are really enjoying their new sisters too.  They love it when the girls copy everything they say.  The girls have delighted in all the wonderful toys that were given to them, especially the doll house.  They have even done small bits of school this week.  They can count to 100, know their basic addition facts, their alphabet and some phonics.  They did not have school prior to the orphanage and are only at a K5 level.  I thought communicating would be difficult but it really hasn't been.  They understand quite a bit and catch on quickly.  They are both super smart.

We have been laying low at home as much as possible to get them comfortable with us and our family life.  It has been amazing to me how they have already become so much a part of the family.  We have yet to see tantrums or tears (although I am sure they will come at some point).  The girls have slept 11 hours a night since the first night home.  I think it helps that they have each other.  The noise level has certainly increased in the house.  There is something about girls and high pitched squeals and screams; they just seem to go together.  I do love listening to the girls chatter in Amharic as they play in their room.  Sometimes they will play Stephen's African drum and sing Ethiopian songs.  Today I had Michael capture their sweet singing on his Ipod.  

In some ways the girls are like having a couple of toddlers in the house.  They want to explore everything, test limits and even put things in their mouth.  Everything is new to them and it is like going back to the exploratory phase of life for them.  Definitely a drain on my energy level!  It has also been a struggle to find time for my devotional quiet time.  We will certainly find a new normal; it will just take time.

The girls have certainly experienced love in their past and have been taught to help.  The first thing they do when they get up is make their beds.  They clear their dinner places and like to help me rinse the dishes.  They fold and put away their own clothes.  They both love to share and think of others.  Because their previous living conditions consisted of a hut or the care center, they have been a bit hard on the house.  The stickers they brought home from the doctor went immediately onto their furniture.  Gum was found on the floor and wrappers strewn along the halls.  Kitchen towels have been placed on their seats and place mats under their table settings to keep berbere stains off the chairs and table cloth.  I have relaxed my expectations over the years of a "clean house" but they may get relaxed even more!

When I was in Ethiopia, I brought home a big bag of the national spice, Berbere.  It is going quickly.  The girls sprinkle it on everything.  Betty has been more adventurous in trying different foods but Jeri is having a much harder time adapting to American food.  She does like pancakes, toast and jelly, pasta and rice which helps.


The girls went to the pediatrician last Friday.  He ordered a wrist x-ray to determine age (hope to find out the results tomorrow) and lab tests to determine what vaccines they have had and what they still need.  We also learned from the vision screening that Jeri needs glasses.  She could see only the first row of letters and became quite upset with big tears falling down her face when she tried to read the next row.  We have an eye exam set up for next week.  I also felt bad Monday when I took them to the lab and they took out 5 vials of blood!  I'm sure they thought I was a mean old mama.  Luckily there was a drug store next door and we picked up some gum and gummy bears to make up for their pain.  Betty will see a pediatric orthopedist Thursday to check the healing of her broken arm.  The pediatrician says it turns out some when held straight which will limit her mobility.  

We have been so appreciative of all the friends and family who have supported us with food.  It has been a blessing not to have to go to the grocery store or cook and especially helpful with all the appointments I have had the past two weeks for both the girls and the boys (fortunately I got all my appointments out of the way before picking them up.)  All the help has given me time to bond, read, and play games with the girls.  It has also given me time to try to establish a new rhythm for homeschooling.  I am also appreciative of the friends that have helped me with "hair."  Today a friend brought over a hair dryer to try and coconut oil and Thursday a friend who knows how to do African hair is coming over to take out their braids, wash it and teach me how to style it or braid it.  I found out that the $5 we paid in Ethiopia was a bargain.  I priced braiding here and it was $50 at the low end!  We are truly blessed. 

Below are a few more photos to enjoy. 


Psalm 118:25 - Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.


A family welcome at the airport.  The girls' big sister Amy greeting them.  Grandma and Grandpa were there also as they took care of the boys while we were gone.







Our friends decorated our house for our arrival home!




Fun at the park.  Sure is colder than Ethiopia!



First snowball fight!  Snow was also fun for stomping through.


From shy to acting silly!


Smiles over new toys and bedroom.  The bears were given to them by some adopted children that live in the same city as my Aunt Nancy.









No comments: